Followers

Monday, May 18, 2009

The Ugly Seed




"If God can make - of an ugly seed with a bit of earth and air, and dew and rain, sunshine and shade - a flower so wondrous fair....I wonder what will He make of a soul like me."


I love those words from A.D. Burkett's poem entitled, "If You Will." They never fail to take me back to that day when I said to my son, Elijah, who was just a toddler...

"Elijah, why don't you just stay little like you are right now, and you can be my baby the rest of your life and mine?" He said, "I'm trying to dad, but God won't let me!"

His response really told the story of how God has it in His plan to make something of him, and I know that whatever He has in store for him will be nothing less than GREAT!

I sometimes wonder what God has in store for my children as they grow older, but most of the time I too busy trying to figure out what He has in store for ME!

Growing up, I recall there were those who did their part to steer, or attempted to steer, me in the right direction. Remember the slogan, “Let God Be Your Co-Pilot?" I spent way too many years driving, when I should have pulled over and let God drive. I'm glad I finally did. He's a much, much better driver than I am.

It is God's intention to make us all into beautiful flowers. Romans 5:12 says, "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world." It goes on to say that ‘all have sinned.’ It's so easy to stray from the nourishment we need in order to become that beautiful flower God wants us to be.

And, that takes me back to what Burkett wrote...

"If God can make - of an ugly seed with a bit of earth and air, and dew and rain, sunshine and shade - a flower so wondrous fair....I wonder what will He make of a soul like me."

The answer is simple, ‘something beautiful,’ if I just learn to let Him do the driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My 78 RPM Disks (1905-1924)

1. Albert Campbell - Dreaming (3701). Steve Porter - Flanagan At The Vocal Teacher's (3705). Standard Talking Machine Company 1907. 2. ...