Followers

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My Family Tree has an 'Executive Branch'


Elizabeth Strother Frogge, my 7th great-grandmother, was the aunt of "Old Rough and Ready" himself, Zachary Taylor, the twelfth President of the United States. And, she was the great aunt of James Madison, the fourth President of the United States and the 'Father of the Constitution', who also helped draft the Bill of Rights.

William and Margaret Watts Strother had 13 children. Their daughter, Agatha, married Augusta Co., VA clerk John Madison, the uncle of James Madison, Sr. His son, was President James Madison. Their daughter, Sarah, married Col. Richard Taylor, father of President Zachary Taylor. Their daughter, Elizabeth, married my ancestor, Col. John Frogge, Jr., Sheriff of Prince William County, VA, who was in the French and Indian War.


Alexander Frogge was a merchant in Edinburgh Scotland toward the last of the 17th century. His son, John Frogge, came to America with Dr. Hugh Graham and was a merchant of Christina, Pennsylvania. His son, was Col. John Frogge, Jr., the sheriff; followed by his son, William (1740-1811), then Arthur Robinson Frogge (1776-1855), then McKendrick Frogge (1810-1850), then Nancy Frogge Koger, who was the wife of Elisha Koger, who was killed by Champ Ferguson during the civil war. Elisha Koger was the grandfather of my great-grandmother, Nannie Koger (1890-1969). Her son, Elmer Boles, was my grandfather.

If you are interested in learning more about this rather large family tree, check out:

Frogge Family History
The William Strother Society, Inc.

6 comments:

  1. i have a question are you related to the great meddler ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. send follow up to brokenfeather17@gmail.com plz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have greatly enjoyed reading your article. I am a direct decendant of Arthur R. Frogge, but from there I come from his daughter Rebecca Hays Frogge. My email is meagan.samuelson@aol.com if you have anymore information I'd love to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have greatly enjoyed reading your article. I'm a direct decendant from Arthur R. Frogge, but from there I come from his daughter Rebecca Hays Frogge. If you have anymore information it would be greatly appreciated. meagan.samuelson@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cousin!

    The site for Arthur Robinson Frogg (Frogge) has moved to here

    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~eda70/arthur%20robinson%20frogg.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agatha and William are my 8x great grandparents!

    ReplyDelete

My 78 RPM Disks (1905-1924)

1. Albert Campbell - Dreaming (3701). Steve Porter - Flanagan At The Vocal Teacher's (3705). Standard Talking Machine Company 1907. 2. ...